Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Proof I Really Need to Be Just Running Running

I had my third bone-density test in 9 years today. Wow, not good. I'm only 44, but I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago, and my bones are paying the price.  I have barely run or exercized in the past year, and even though I eat well and take good care of myself I have osteoporosis in my hips and spine. Seriously?!

Yes, I have been taking estrogen, but a low dose because of all the fuss about HRT.  I should have done more research and taken a higher dosage, but I was afraid.  It's really overwhelming when you start reading/asking questions.  OK, time to do something about it, not just feel badly.

I am having anxiety about this, but of course anxiety is apparently bad for your bones, too.  I would go sit out the sun for the vitamin k, but I live in Michigan, where it seems that the sun is useless for that except between April and September.  Plus, it's 18 degrees out right now...

Time to get my butt back on the treadmill if it's too cold or icy and use those handweights sitting next to it.  I've never really worried about my weight, lucky that way, so I just exercised when I felt like it.

OK, guess I should use my reserved spot in the New York Marathon (enter the lottery for a spot for 3 years in a row and you're automatically in when the 4th year rolls around) and start training.  Sigh. I do love to run and feel so good when I do it regularly- need to remember that.  Time to get excited about training again and not obsess about having worse bones than my 70 year old mother...

How are YOUR bones?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure. I think it's probably time to check them out. I'm 48...so a bit older than you. I work out, I take "girlie" vitamins, I do resistance training...but - who knows? Good question, Stephanie.

    ~ Red Dirt Kelly
    http://www.reddirtchronicles.com/

    ReplyDelete